Is it normal to have a painless small watery filled bulge on second toe ?

I have a small blister like watery filled bulge on my second toe thats been there for about 6 weeks, its not painful and may be going down slightly, what could this be, is it serious?

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As it is persisting beyond 6 Weeks, it may needs evaluation. But please go through the reply to decide for yourself.

Before giving my opinion, I would like to know few more details,

1. Onset, Duration, Progression - Onset - how did it start, all by itself? or got hurt? Duration - 6 weeks, Progression - has it been same? or did it become big? Did it start as patch and then become blister? Is there a pus pointing out?

2. Do you have conditions like diabetes, high blood pressures, or any other vascular problems that have caused blisters and ulcers in foot in the past?

3. Any rise in temperature around the blister, or redness of the skin or deepening or pus protruding out or expansion of the lesion needs immediate evaluation whether or not it is painful.

The above details will help me in formulating a better opinion with respect to the seriousness of the problem.

However since it is persisting since 6 weeks, I advice you to consider visiting your family doctor and seek his opinion.

Please do not try to burst open or put any irritant creams on the blister as the skin over the lesion usually will be very sensitive.

Anticipating your reply to help you better.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have a painless small watery filled bulge on second toe ? 3 hours later
Hi Dr Jayasukrutamma,

1). It started all by it self I think.

2). I might have high blood pressure but I can control it when necessary.

3). There is no pain, redness, puss or anything nasty around it, it feels quite numb and not looking angry.

Is it something nasty?

Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 6 hours later

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Its a great relief to hear that you do not have any signs. Hence it might not be a serious problem.

So here are my suggestions:

1. Use a lubricant like petroleum jelly or lip balms over the area.

2. Use socks custom made for walking like synthetic fabric socks or coolmax fabric socks, double layered synthetic socks. Cotton socks wipe away moisture and cause irritation over the blister and make it rupture. So please do not use cotton socks when you have tendency to form blisters.

3. Blister block cushions and Cushlin blister pads can be used if you are getting recurrent blisters to prevent them. These are like Band Aids applied over the toes prone to blisters, so as to prevent them and to protect a skin that has blister.

You can wait for another 5 days or a week, If the blister shows signs of healing, you can wait and watch, if it does not show any signs of improvement or you find any of the changes discussed in my previous answer, please consult your physician.

Hope this helps you, Take care and Have a nice weekend.