Is it normal to have a brown discharge after a period ends?

hi,just wondering if its normal to have a pinkish brown rusty color discharge after a period ends?if so how long does this normally go on for?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for the wuery.
Many women experience brown discharge after their period.the reason for this differs from person to person  As a matter of fact, a brown discharge after the menstrual cycle is not always a cause for concern or a warning sign for any critical condition. There are chances that a perfectly healthy woman may also experience a brown discharge before, during, and after a period. 

Most of the time, brown discharge is due to shedding of endometrial tissues (lining of the uterus which gives way to menstrual bleeding). Remnants of the older endometrial tissues may appear brown when discharged from the body, which we can also say is the cleaning process of the uterus.

In some cases the brown discharge may be due to some damage to any XXXXXXX part of the reproductive system, which may require a thorough examination,like erosions or polyps.

Other causes that can lead to a brown discharge  include:
Bacterial vaginosis
Repeated yeast infections
Pelvic inflammatory disease
Cervical cancer
Sexually transmitted diseases like chlamydia or gonorrhea

What you require is a consultation with a a gynecologist and  thorough investigations to find the cause and you should not ignore it.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Is it normal to have a brown discharge after a period ends? 1 hour later
when shedding occurs after a period how long does it generally last for?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Although very difficult to put a exact time frame for such discharge as it may differ with different women but normally if the discharge is due to normal endometrial shedding,it should not last for more than 5 to 7 days and during tnis period,the amount shaded will keep on getting less.
But if the discharge continues,then it warrants a examination by a gynecologist.
Follow-up: Is it normal to have a brown discharge after a period ends? 15 hours later
hi,this is the 4th day ive had a brown rusty color mucus after my period it mainly occurs in the morning is this normal after my period?the mucus is kind of jelly like.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
As I told you earlier,if it is reducing day by day,then nothing to worry.
It is normal to notice it more in the morning time.
Just wait and watch.If the amount doesn't reduce,then have a date with your doctor.