Is it normal to get stretch marks around the buttox area during puberty?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
my son is 13 and going thru puberty is it normal for him to have stretch marks due to growth around the buttox area?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stretch marks at puberty are normal and will fade. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Stretch marks are quite common during puberty. They result from the stretching of tissues that occurs during puberty and may be reddish in color at first but will fade to white and then finally disappear. In boys, they are usually seen around the back, the top of the legs or the buttock area. There are creams, gels and lotions that claim to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. However, there is no evidence that these work and stretch marks developing at puberty are highly likely to disappear altogether. I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA