Is it normal to get red bumps in the holes where the tonsils use to be after a tonsillectomy?

is it normal to get red bumps in the holes where the tonsils use to be 16 days after a tonsillectomy, i have had post op infections and bleeding
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Usually the patient will notice white patches in the back of the throat where the tonsils were formerly located. These are temporary scabs which occur during the healing process. They are not a sign of infection, and will fall off within the first two weeks following surgery and no attempt should be made to remove them. They will give the patient bad breath which will resolve once the area is fully healed. It will take up to 6 weeks for the throat to return to the normal pink color.
It will better if you mention since how many days you are noting this red bumps.
I think it might be nothing usually after tonsillectomy while healing process takes place the area over there appears to be raised that may give the impression of red bumps.
As you have mentioned about the post tonsillectomy bleeding and infection i advice you to see ENT surgeon for examination and also to rule out any infection, it is difficult to exactly diagnose it without examination. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Is it normal to get red bumps in the holes where the tonsils use to be after a tonsillectomy? 6 hours later

I'm now on day 17 and I started noticing the bumps yesterday and I can now feel some uncomfortable swelling on the left side. My white scabs came off awhile ago and I'm currently on ethromycin for the infection.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 12 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
As you have noticed them yesterday only i advice you to observe it for one to two days and don't try to touch it with finger or with brush, by the information provided by you i don't think you need to worry much and also you are on antibiotic to cover the infection.
If the swelling increases or it becomes very uncomfortable i advice you to see ENT specialist for examination as direct visualization of the area is better than speculating and also you will feel relaxed.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.