Is it normal to get periods twice in 2 weeks after taking emergency contraceptive pill?

Oncologist
Question
Hi.
I am 22 years of age,5.3 ft of height weighing 64 kg.I had unsafe sex with my fiance at the end of my period cycle.But he didnt ejaculate at all.It was just a penetration only.But i took emergency contraceptive after 4-5 hrs.The next day I had my periods.After one week i had it again.Is it normal?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

The answer to your question is yes - emergency contraceptives can cause this phenomenon where you might have 2 successive periods in close occurrence just as you have reported. As long as the flow and bleeding levels off and stops just as you experience in your regular monthly cycles then you are fine and there is no concern.

Let me reassure you as well that there is virtually no chance at all of pregnancy given the successive shedding of uterine lining as you have reported. Your periods may be slightly irregular in the next couple of months but should return back to normal within 3 months.

I hope this reply has been both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Is it normal to get periods twice in 2 weeks after taking emergency contraceptive pill? 1 hour later
Hey Doc,
As I have got two successive periods can i have my next period regular?What are the side effects of the pill in future?can it affect my desired pregnancy in future?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

As far as side effects go there are a few to be mindful of. Some of the side effects include nausea abdominal cramping as well as headaches. Certainly irregular bleeding is a side effect. In addition some patients have reported more prolonged menstrual irregularities which lasts more than a few months. Those patients are the exception. Most patients do quite well with this medication and periods return to normal within two or three months.

Let me also reassure you that your fertility has not been damaged. You will certainly be able to get pregnant in the future. This medication has been in use for many many years. Women have done quite well with this medication and I am sure you will do the same.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope my answers have been very helpful. If you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert.n

Follow-up: Is it normal to get periods twice in 2 weeks after taking emergency contraceptive pill? 15 hours later
Thanx a lot doc.
One more thing, of late i noticed i have developed pimple like things on my hips but hard and tiny marks.I don't know whether it is after this or before this.Can u suggest a remedy please?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hi and thanks for your followup.

As for the pimple like lesions - most likely these are not related. More than likely they are due to some clogged pores in your skin. I recommend taking some warm soaks in the bathtub for 30 minutes per day for the next few days. This will open your pores and hopefully clear these up in a few days to a week.

Thanks again for your question. I hope I have provided you with helpful information. If you have additional concerns please let us know.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga