Is it normal to find mucus while swallowing?

For the last 2+ years when I swallow, I can tell there is a mucus.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Suspecting chronic infection or hampered drainage Detailed Answer: Hello.Welcome to XXXXXXX With limited details you have provided and mucus for long duration of 2 years I will always rule out possibilities of chronic infections, hampered drainage of secretions or gastro-esophageal reflux with aspiration to lungs. Ideally this would need investigations like chest radiograph, mucus analysis and barium swallow to study your swallowing mechanism. Of this causes aspiration to lung needs to ruled out first as mucus is associated with swallowing. Try few things like shorter meals, not sleeping immediately after meal, avoid spicy food, avoid alcohol/smoking and drinking too much of water with meals. If these things help then it is more pointer towards reflux. If you feel its more of hampered drainage of secretions with congested heavy chest then give try to steam inhalation and breathing exercises. So I would suggest you to go ahead with clinical evaluation and get investigations done. Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.