Is it normal not being able to rotate my hand in a certain direction after an accident?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was in a auto accident 2 weeks ago diagnosed with a grade 2 sprain. The pain has not gotten any better, today I noticed I cant rotate my wrist to the left at all, but I can to the right with no problem. I am still in a splint and have not been using the injured wrist as instructed. Is this normal not being able to rotate it a certain direction? Xrays were done but no fracture was found.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Due to immobilisation some stiffness can occur and this can cause difficulty in rotating your wrist in particular direction. Do not worry. Follow the instructions given by your doctor. After healing of sprain and physiotherapy exercises, you will be able to rotate your wrist in all directions. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care