Is it normal if bilirubin levels fluctuate within normal range?

Mar 2016

Is it normal for bilirubin levels to fluctuate within normal range? I had a blood test a week ago this past Friday...results were .7; tested again this past Friday (1 week difference) results were 1.0. I only ate a bowl of cereal 6 hours prior to the doctor said fasting causes increases in bilirubin levels.
The same question applies to calcium. 1st test was 9.7, second test was 10.2.

Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later

Yes, all biochemical parameters can fluctuate within normal range in healthy person and it depends on metabolism of nutrients & other associated factors.

Here, you have nothing to worry.

Hope, it helps for your information. Let me know for more clarification.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it normal if bilirubin levels fluctuate within normal range? 11 hours later
I thought I sent a follow up question, but can't locate within my profile. Please forgive if I asked the same question in a previous post.

First, thanks for the very quick appreciated!

Would taking a multi vitamin cause variations seen in my findings for these 2 blood components? I started a multi vitamin a couple days prior to the first test and continued through the 2d blood test.

Is it the vitamin D that causes the changes, especially with the calcium level?

Again, thanks for your time and expertise.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Multivitamin usually does not effect on bilirubin metabolism. It varies according to hemolysis of old Red Blood Cells, infection, temperature, systemic disease, liver problem etc. But, your bilirubin level is within normal range and you have nothing to worry.

Second thing, vitamin-D has some role in absorption of calcium from digestive tract or bones & it may cause fluctuation of calcium level with other associated factors.

Hope, it helps to understand above two facts. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it normal if bilirubin levels fluctuate within normal range? 1 hour later
If there was a problem with bilirubin it would be outside of normal immediately, or would it slowly edge outside of normal? What other blood components would be outside norm?

Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later

Thanks again for query. Followings are my comment:

1) The above said condition in which hemolysis of Red Blood Cell takes place or bilirubin metabolism hampers, clinical jaundice may develop. In such case, serum bilirubin level increases (outside of normal) gradually over the time until the root cause is treated.

2) With impairment of serum bilirubin level, parameters of Liver Function Test (LFT) is usually hampered. Here, SGPT, SGOT, Alkaline phosphatase etc may be increased.

To clear your doubt, you can repeat above tests or undergo complete LFT after 2 weeks and consult with your doctor for suggestive measures.

Dr Soumen