Is it normal for your fingers to get prickly feeling from a torn muscle?

Is it normal for your fingers to get a prickley fealing from a torn muscle?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Thanks for posting.

when the hand is injured, we feel pain in varying intensity. Feeling prickley is possible after having a hand injury and it is often expected. However, I hope by prickley you mean intermittent painful sensations resembling a prick. Otherwise, rephrase the question.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Is it normal for your fingers to get prickly feeling from a torn muscle? 2 minutes later
Like the same fealing you get before its numb, pins and needles, and the torn muscle is near my shoulder
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 minutes later
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

Nerves supplying the fingers all pass through the shoulder. Depending on which muscle is torn and its proximity to a nerve branch, it may cause intermittent excitation of this nerve that can present as pain(paresthesia like pins and needles are present in your hand).

My advice is that you monitor it over a few days. If the intensity is increasing or it becomes difficult to use your hand, then seek medical examination and possible treatment. If it is stable with no loss of any function of the hand or decreasing, then you can be comfortable knowing it will soon be relieved as the sore muscle heals.

Hope this helps.
I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD