Is it normal for the hemangioma to be taking up space in the spine pushing the thoracic vertebrae outward?

May 2014

Hello......I had an MRI of my back two years ago. At that time the results revealed herniation at the S1, L5, L3 discs. However, the MRI also indicated a hemangioma in the T5 spine. This past month, there has been significant (approximately 1 1/2 inch) bulging in the spine in that area. Should I be concerned or is this normal for the hemangioma to be taking up space in the spine pushing the thoracic vertebrae outward? I do not have any pictures, I have the MRI on disc, but it is too large to send. I have tried to upload the CD, but it appears it is not in pdf or jpeg format
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please seek immediate medical consultation Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. First of all please send your earlier MRI scan report (pdf/jpeg) as the image CD is in DICOM format. You may however choose to upload your CD contents to dropbox and send me a link. The report will provide more precise information on the earlier scan and the location of the hemangioma involving T 5 vertebra. It is possible that The bulge in the spine in exactly the same area can be due to the presence of hemangioma or complications arising from it. A history of treated breast cancer also makes it important to rule out other conditions. You must seek immediate medical consultation and a repeat MRI scan of the thoracic spine region. The present developments have to be compared with the previous MRI scan done two years back. The disc herniations at S 1, L5 and L3 are of a different cause and need pain management medications. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek