Is it normal for seroma to grow after inguinal hernia surgery?

Jul 2016

I had inguinal hernia surgery with hernia sac removed and mesh used, right side, on February 4. There was post-op swelling and some draining that stopped yesterday. My family MD saw me to look at the draining on February 7. As a precaution he prescribed 500 mg Cephalexin for 7 days, but didn't think there was an infection. However, a seroma has developed and seems to be increasing in size. The surgeon saw me today, February 12, to remove the 12 staples. Unfortunately he didn't see the swelling when it was smaller. He didn't seem concerned, but wants only limited activity right now. Only the actual incision is somewhat tender, and then only when pressure is applied. It's not inflamed, warm to the touch, etc. or otherwise painful. I'm concerned because the seroma is still growing 8 days post-op. Is this normal? When should the seroma stop growing? I know it can take weeks/months to resolve, and usually aspiration is not needed. However, I am concerned because it is getting larger. Your expertise, please! Thank you. PS I'm 72 years old and in very good health, if that matters.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seroma will take 2 weeks to get resolved. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been operated for Rt Inguinal Hernia one week back and has developed swelling at the site of incision with collection of serous fluid (Seroma). This does happen in once in a while in few patients to have collection of serous fluid at the site of surgery mostly in obese patient . One has to take antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs and wait for natural resolution.and take care that it does not get infected. Please get culture and sensitivity test of the serous fluid done to rule out any infection and to take appropriate antibiotic as per culture report. Ensure to clean and drain all the serous fluid daily that gets collected so that there is minimum risk of it getting infected. Do not worry this should get resolved within 2 weeks. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is it normal for seroma to grow after inguinal hernia surgery? 5 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. However, how long should the seroma keep growing? My surgeon who saw me today doesn't want a follow-up appointment for 3 weeks, so I assume he doesn't think this is a problem. However, I am concerned because 8 days after surgery the seroma is still increasing in size. Is this normal? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get culture and sensitivity of serous fluid done. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up.It will get resolved gradually within 2 weeks with the measures which I have suggested earlier. This is not a serious issue at all as long as it does not get infected and is sure to get cured . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.