Is it normal for platelet counts to fluctuate?
User rating for this question
Is it normal for platelet counts to fluctuate? My counts on Thr were 284. Yesterday they were 235. 3 weeks ago they were 318. Is that normal?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be due to lab method used. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Yes it can fluctuate. Most of the times this fluctuation can be due to laboratory method used in estimation might be the cause. If it is complete blood picture with under microscope reporting there are high chances of fluctuation. Other reasons could be due to infection, inflammation, hematological causes. Your platelet counts seem to be in normal range in all above three reports. I have seen picture which you have attached to this query there is slight bruise. History of repeated bruising associated fatigue should be evaluated properly . PT , ApTT , INR, clotting time , bleeding time are initial basic investigation that would be helpful in identifying the cause . We could discuss further based on your lab reports. Hope I answered your query. Any further information you can ask me in follow up query. Regards.
Follow-up: Is it normal for platelet counts to fluctuate? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 18 hours later
Brief Answer: It can be normal, infection can decrease counts. Detailed Answer: Hello dear. Yes, this can happen in infection, it is a normal phenomenon unless you have any bleeding symptoms. Some viral infections can cause thrombocytopenia i.e low platelet count . But in your case platelet counts are not such low levels to cause alarming symptoms. Hope I answered your query. Regards.
People also viewed
- Hyperhidrosis color chages of skin
- Treatment and cure for h63d hemochromatosis
- Normal platelet count in adults
- Chaild has grey stools
- Chain smoking what a pleasure
- What does skin chafing look like
- Is it normal for platelet counts to fluctuate
- Fluctuating platelet count causes
- Treatment and cure for acute hemolytic anemia
- Is 171 a normal platelets count
- Vaginal chafing peeling skin
- Treatment and cure for normocytic hypochromic anemia
- Normal platelet count child
- Treatment and cure for cooley anemia
- Treatment and cure for idiopathic hemolytic anemia