Is it normal for old women suffering from high blood pressure to feel sleepy and lazy while taking medication for it?

I am an 90 years old women, have high blood presure, I take medication for it, it is 160 x 85. Lately I am feeling sleep and a bit lazy, is it normal or do I have some thing?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

The blood pressure reading you provided is certainly elevated. I would be interested in more data from you - specifically multiple readings daily to see of your BP is higher at certain times of day.

Your fatigue could be from a few things. First - elevated BP can cause malaise or headaches or visual disturbances so we must consider that. Second - your medication could be contributing to your fatigue - has your pulse been normal during your BP readings? How long have you been on this regimen of verapamil and amlodipine? Do you have any medication allergies? Lastly - fatigue can be from such things as anemia or thyroid dysfunction or general deconditioning.

I'll await the additional information from you and we can see if we can provide you even more information and recommendations on how to proceed.

Dr. Robert Galamaga