Is it normal for a child to have a lump on his sternum?

My 18 month old son has a lump on his sternum is that normal?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 23 minutes later

I would like to know if the Lump is on the middle of the sternum or at the tip below. The ‘xiphoid process’ which is the tip of the sternum (breast bone), is decidedly supple in babies and sometimes stick straight up creating a hard little bulge right in the midline of the abdomen just below the rib margin. This happens because of decreased bone mineralisation which is an enduring developmental process and it's perfectly normal.

If the swelling is at the middle of chest, progressing in size or not receding or if the baby is not feeding well, I would suggest you to get him evaluated in detail by a Pediatrician or an Orthopedician who after indispensable tests will arrive at an accurate diagnosis and instigate proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.