Is it normal for TSH to shoot up sometimes or are my lab test results wrong? Have hypothyroidism

Question
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed for hypothyrodism couple ofmonths back with 7.89 TSH. I was put on 25 mcg Thyronorm for a month and TSH came down to 6.25. Then I started taking 50mcg Thyronorm on my doctors advice. After a month TSH came down to 1.54. I continued taking 50mcg Thyronorm for next one month and got my TSH tested which is now 15.5. It is very shocking to see such a rise in TSH inspite of taking Thyroxine without missing it even
for a day. Is this normal that TSH might shoot up sometimes or the lab test results might be wrong?? Since couple of months i have been experiencing severe acidity and vomitings as a result. I am trying to conceive please advice me accordingly.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Dear AAAAA,
Wrong lab reports are quite common with TSH. So check the TSH again.If it still the same that means your hypothyroidism has progressed during last few months. This has caused tsh to shoot up. So 50mcg dose wont be sufficient amd dose will have to be increased. There are few other things you need to ensure---take the tablet early morning and empty stomach and give a gap of 1 hour between food /coffee/ tea etc. If u r taking calcium or iron giv a gap of 4 hours. Make sure you r not vomiting the drug out.
As far pregnancy is concerned you need to wait. During pregnancy Tsh has to be less than 2.5. So you need to wait till the tsh gets below that value before planning pregnancy. One more thing- you need to check ur thyroid atleast once in 6-8 weeks during pregnancy and the thyroxine dose may need to be increased further during pregnancy. Consult a gastro enterologist for your acidity- its not related to thyroid.
for now recheck tsh and if ots still high increase the dose and recheck after
6 weeks, wait till tsh is below 2.5 before planning pregnancy.