Is it normal for 34 pound weight gain within 29 weeks of pregnancy ?

I am 21 years of age(22 in 2 weeks) and I am about 29 weeks pregnant. I've never had any medical conditions. At the start of my pregnancy I weighed 131 and was 5'8. I now am 165 pounds. I recently did a glucose test but have yet to get results. I wanted to know is this normal weight gain when I still have 2-3 months to go. Also, I have recently discovered a lump on my pelvis area and sometimes after a week of work they hurt or feel really sore. I read somewhere that the tissues are softening for labor but could this also cause the lumps too?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 27 minutes later
Hello Yitora,

Thanks for posting your query

During pregnancy the average weight gain can range from 25 to 35 pounds depending on the pre pregnancy weight.Since your weight was normal before the pregnancy(according to your height)so about 30 pounds of gain is normal.Unless you do not have any other associated symptoms as swelling of the limbs,raised BP,increase glucose weight gain is fine but if any other symptom is present then it has to be evaluated as in the last few weeks the weight gain is more rapid so a few more pounds is expected.

Regarding the lump in the pelvis, pregnancy cannot cause the lump to arise. It might be a boil,ingrown hair or any infection and that can be confirmed after examining the size,consistency,shape of the lump.

Consider visiting your treating doctor for clinical examination of the lump and wait for the glucose test results.Do not go for self medications for the lump.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.