Is it normal during pregnancy for female to develop puss-like bump with single hair sticking out?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Is it normal for a female to develop a puss-like bump with a single hair sticking out of it around every period cycle or this a serious concern? Im pregnant at the time but the bump is now just lingering around now it has a purplish tint with a head it gets flat sometimes but other times its a hard lumped underlayer of skin sometimes painfull is this a sti or an infection I also feel as if it may be an infection because my vagina is sometimes itchy I'm not sure if its due to the pregnancy but I shaved the other day and developed a itchy burning sensation that lasted a day now its gone what could this be?
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: FOLLICULITIS LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Firstly, I would like to request you to provide some more details, that will enable me to guide you in a better manner - 1. Where EXACTLY is the bump ? 2. How many weeks pregnant are you ? 3. Does the bump happen with EVERY period cycle ? 4. Most importantly, could you upload a picture ? Now, for the answer . Based on the information provided so far in the question, to me it sounds like folliculitis. This is an infection of the hair follicle. The description of a single hair sticking out from the pus filled bump is very typical. No, it is not common to have them EVERY period cycle, but around that time, due to hormonal changes, the infection might be recurring. It could be lingering inside the hair follicle, and flaring up every cycle due to periods, shaving or other trigger factors. It does NOT indicate an STI, though you should be screened for them before embarking on a pregnancy. The itching could be due to the shaving, which might have irritated the pus inside the follicle. If uninfected, such a follicle can be plucked out. However, you are pregnant, and the pus indicates infection. It is better to have it done by a doctor. If the infection is advanced ( pain, swelling, discomfort, redness, obvious pus oozing out ) - then a course of antibiotics and antiinflammatories might be required before removing the offending hair follicle. Please do write back with further details. Feel free to discuss further. All the best.

Follow-up: Is it normal during pregnancy for female to develop puss-like bump with single hair sticking out? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the rush response. I'm 8 weeks the area was there before the pregnancy but I always shave before a period which for me was supposed to come on the 23rd but because of the pregnancy it didn't then the bump flattened leaving the area sort of a hard cyst like I popped it but it just stayed and also could the itching and burning around my vulva be associated with an vaginal infection if so which one? No burning when I urinate just irritated after I shaved

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: The itching and burning could be due to the recent shaving. It is difficult to say which infection without examining you, looking at any discharge / plaque on the vagina, and without confirming the infection with a vaginal swab. Common would be a yeast inefction ( given that there is more of itching and burning ). Bacterial vaginosis would have a typical fishy odour, and trichomonal infection would have a greenish frothy odorous discharge. However, it is advisable to have a gynec check up, and confirm the infection, before treatment, as treatment too, would have to be tailored as per the unique situation of pregnancy. As for the bump, I still go with folliculitis, a pic would help. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it normal during pregnancy for female to develop puss-like bump with single hair sticking out? 16 hours later
Do you think the itching and burning is even associated? I think I'm almost certain I have a infection because of the overly discharge itching burning and not staying as fresh throughout the day and sometimes there's a slight discomfort in the walls of my vigina what infection is this related to?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again . You mentioned a discharge for the first time in the entire conversation in the last post ! Given the combination of a vaginal discharge, itching and burning - yes, infection is more likely. I was going in favour of a shaving burn, because so far only itching and burning was mentioned. A vaginal discharge points towards an infection. As I said, this could be BV or yeast infection - looks more like BV to me, because of the abundant discharge. Please have a gynecological evaluation, as only that would confirm it. Meanwhile, the boil most definitely is folliculitis. Take care.

The reason I never mentioned the discharge was because I associated it with pregnancy but bv is a good answer because my gyno told me once I had it she prescribed flagyl or something but I had no symptoms but I felt like it was misdiagnosed but I'm eager to find out once I find a great smart doctor to visit thanks for your suggestions sir

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. Yes, pregnancy is associated with whitish discharge, sometimes more than normal. But in conjunction with the itching and burning, it needs evaluation for infective pathology. All the best. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it normal during pregnancy for female to develop puss-like bump with single hair sticking out? 6 minutes later
ok thanks

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: All the best, and good day to you too.