Is it necessary to take omeparazole for eosinophilic esophagitis?

I am 54 years old, 5'10", 195 lbs. I was recently diagnose with eosinophilic esophagitis after esophageal spasms, and after no health problems for decades. I drank beer in excess which I have stopped since the spasms. Doctor prescribed omeparazole, even though I have no symptoms of acid problems except some erosion in the distal esophagus. Three days after the diagnosis, I had an acute gout attack. Doctor insists I continue to take omeparazole, but the side effects scare me, especially since I have zero heartburn or any indicator that I have a stomach acid problem. I have changed diet and lifestyle and am trying herbal things such as pine nut oil and slippery elm. I seem to be doing okay. The anti-inflammatories for gout present me with a slight feeling of a lump in my throat which I had before the spasm attack, but the gout is almost under control. I do not want to take the prescription omeparazole, If I get c-diff i am probably as good as dead. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You can avoid taking it after 3 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. It is good that your esophageal spasms are well under control with lifestyle modifications and dietary changes. Omeprazole is given to help the erosions to heal properly. Even if the usage of omeprazole is associated with an increase in risk of getting C.difficile infection, it is better to take omeprazole for at least three weeks for the erosions to heal and then you can take it on as and when required basis. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.