Is it necessary to take blood Pressure medicine when having diabetes?

My wife has blood pressure of 160/82 along with Diabetes fasting 142 PP 150.She is taking Glycomet 850 once and Glizid 30 MR once.Her cholesterol was Total 163,HDL 44,LDL 93. Is it necessary for her to take blood Pressure medicine which should have statins also.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: blood pressure medication would be good Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure often go hand in hand. If a persons only has high blood pressure, the goal for the blood pressure is less than 140/90 mmHg. I If there is also a history of diabetes then the blood pressure goal is lower at less than 130/80 mmHG. This is because both diabetes and high blood pressure can put pressure on the kidneys , so once both are present, in order to avoid kidney disease, the blood pressure should be less than 130/80 mmHg. Because high cholesterol would increase the risk for heart disease and stroke, the goal for bad cholesterol is also lower for diabetics. Your wife's LDL is good at 93 ( though some diabetics aim for lower than 70 ) but her HDL is too low (it should be greater than 50 in women to have a protective effect). She should consider a blood pressure medication to protect her kidneys. If she can raise her HDL by lifestyle measures she can try this but if not a statin would help raise this level and further decrease her risk of heart disease. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions