Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi, I had intercourse with my wife on 12th dec 2013 without protection. And I am not sure whether I ejaculated inside or not as I felt I ejaculated outside and not much went inside. But just to remove any risk, she had Postpone 72 withing 5 hours. She usually have her periods by 22nd of every month. Can you please tell me how will I come to know whether she has prevented pregnancy? And does she need to take any more contraceptives if she has prevented the pregnancy?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As the emergency contraceptive pill has already been taken , there is no need to take any more contraceptives. WHen taken within 24 hours, the emergency contraceptive is more than 95 % effective in preventing a pregnancy. So the chances of pregnancy are less than 5 %. You would not know if the pregnancy has been prevented, unless and until it is time for her next cycle. You should also remember that the emergency contraceptive has a side effect - it can prepone or postpone her normal period by a week or more. ALso, some amount of withdrawal bleeding / spotting will occur within some days after taking the emergency contraceptive. SO basically her next period is most unreliable. To be sure that pregnancy has been ruled out, please take a pregnancy test 3 weeks from now, irrespective of any kind of interim bleeding. Meanwhile, have protected sex only. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 36 minutes later
Hi, to add to the above question, if she has her menstrual cycle in time or after the regular time, then does it ensures the she is not pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again You would not be able to differentiate between a period vs. withdrawal bleed from the hormones. It is wise to take a pregnancy test in any case. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 7 hours later
Hi, If there is withdrawal bleed in some days and then she have her periods after some days, then does it ensures that she has prevented pregnancy? For this we need to wait for her periods to happen after the bleed.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, if she has a brief period of spotting, followed some days on by a proper period, pregnancy can be excluded reasonably well.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 14 hours later
Hi, Is it necessary that she will be having a withdrawal bleeding because of the contraceptive even if I didn't ejaculated inside her? If she doesn't have a withdrawal bleeding, then does it mean that the contraceptive has not worked or it indicates that I didn't ejaculated? She is having slight headache nowadays after having the contraceptive. Is it normal?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Generally there is always some amount of withdrawal bleeding, irrespective of whether you ejaculated inside or not. If she does not have a withdrawal bleed, you cannot draw any inference, because in some women, there is actually no withdrawal bleed. Headache is quite common after hormonal pill intake. Take care.

Hi, My wife is having severe stomache(abdominal area). Is it because of the pill? How long will it continue?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello IT could be because of the pill. IT should go away in a couple of days. IT could also be due to gastritis, a bowel infection etc. Please ask her to take a hot water bottle to bed. Let her rest for a few hours. Take mild bland home made food. IT should pass away. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 3 hours later
hi, Its getting into a very difficult situation. There is a fight between me and my wife every now and then blaming me for all these. I accepted this is all my fault but she is not understanding. can you please suggest me is it normal for a women to act in such a way in such a situation? I am very tensed regarding our relationship.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: It is common for women to experience anxiety about a possible unwanted pregnancy. Hormones would further cause her to be more volatile emotionally. Support her through this phase.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 18 hours later
Hi, She took the pill on 12th. Her stoamache is still there. Can you please tell till which date this pain will continue in general? She is afraid if it doesnot work then what willl happen.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again Normally the pain should not go on this long. Please see a doctor who will examine her to know the exact reason for the pain. If the emergency contraceptive does not work, resulting in an unwanted pregnancy, you can take medical abortion pills for termination. Take care.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 23 minutes later
Hi, After how many days the medical abortion pills must be taken to terminate pregnancy?

Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: The pregnancy should be confirmed and dated by a gynecologist. Medical abortion pills can be safely taken for upto 7 weeks of an intra uterine pregnancy.

Follow-up: Is it necessary to take any other contraceptive after taking postpone 72 to prevent pregnancy? 8 minutes later
Hi, After how many days should we go for pregnancy test? And if positive, can pregnancy be aborted using only pills?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: As I said, go for a pregnancy test 3 weeks after the episode of unprotected intercourse. If positive, please consult a gynecologist to confirm and date the pregnancy and to prescribe the pills in proper dosage. In more than 90 % of cases, medical abortion pills are successful in aborting a pregnancy. Take care.