Is it necessary to take PAP smear test after complete hysterectomy?

Infertility Specialist
I am a 63 year old woman who had a complete hysterectomy in 1991 - I am in general good health, no known problems and feel fine. I am wondering if it is necessary to have a PAP smear, and what would they be checking for if I have no reproductive organs (no ovaries). I am not sexually active and have not been for 15 years, and I do not care to be at this time. Thank you kindly. Margaret
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi When you have undergone complete hysterectomy means your uterus along with cervix has been removed. PAP smear is done to diagnose cancer if cervix. Since there is no cervix in you there is no possibility of cancer. Therefore no need of getting PAP Smear done and it cannot be done also. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol