Is it necessary to remove a non malignant lipoma?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
LIPOMA SURGERY REQUIRES GENERAL ANAESTHESIA OR LOCAL? My WIFE HAS A BIG ONE ON HER BACK. IS IT NECESSARY TO GET IT RMOVED. Biopsy turned negative malignant.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lipoma is benign, can be removed under local. Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to Healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar, I have gone through your concern and understood it. Lipoma is a benign tumor of adipose tissue and usually presents as asymptomatic/ painless, soft/rubbery swellings which slip under the fingers when pressed. It is the most common benign form of soft tissue tumor. Multiple Lipomas can occur. Lipomas are usually small (under one centimeter diameter), remain the same size over years or grow very slowly. However, size of lipoma is variable and can vary from less than a centimeter to a few centimeters in size. Usually, treatment of a lipoma is not necessary, unless the tumor becomes painful or restricts movement or becomes unsightly or bothersome. I would advice you to just observe it over time. However if it becomes painful or becomes a cosmetic concern for you or restricts you in some way, then you can opt for surgical removal. It is removed under local anesthesia. Hope this answers your query. regards