Is it necessary to readjust the dosage of Imuran with weight changes?

Hi. If I lose a considerable amount of weight, should my amount of Imuran (for non-specific vasculitis) then be re-adjusted, particularly if I am having mouth sores and fatigue? (I've lost thirty pounds since getting off prednisone.) And also I now have ok but not the greatest lab results;he's had me consult with other drs about them recently. He was fine a year ago taking me from 100 to 75 initially from bad side effects issues. But won't even ANSWER me about this. Literally. I'm starting to wonder if he just wants to make sure I get back down to 104 lbs. b Thank you.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Immuron needs dose readjustment,weightloss natural Detailed Answer: Good Day Miss XXXX! Thank you for asking. My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your dose readjustment concerns for imuran and weight loss. Miss XXXXXXX Azathioprine / Imuron is a per Kg dosage and it definetly needs to be readjusted with that significant weight changes. As it is an immunosuppressive drug and any dose more than required will fry the immune system and result in complications some of which you already have like Recurrent aphthous ulcers / Mouth sores. Losing weight is a good thing but keeping it natural and healthy avoiding cheap publicity stunts and staying in touch with the Doctor for constant monitoring is recommended. So i recommend talk to your rheumatologist and let him adjust the dose of azathioprine. If you don't find comfort in them you have the right to have second opinion." Miss XXXXXXX Hope this answer finds you in good health. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask. I would love to answer. Other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Have a very good day and take some good care of yourself. Regards Dr S Khan
Follow-up: Is it necessary to readjust the dosage of Imuran with weight changes? 3 hours later
Thank you very much. What is the ratio or scale to determine how much you take as in: if you weigh this, you should take between such and such mg of Imuran.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 31 hours later
Brief Answer: 1-2 mg per kg per day is recommended Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking again Miss XXXX! Usually 1-2 mg pr kg is given azathioprine. SO low doses are recommended like 1 mg per kg so if a person is 60 kg or equivalent 132 pounds, only 60 mg of imuron should be used. Hope i was of help. Keep me posted and take care of your self. Have a good day. and don't forget to close the discussion please. For further knowledge about vasculitis do read this article WWW.WWWW.WW Regards Dr S Khan