Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it necessary to go for tooth extraction treatment for infected teeth?

I have got my tooth root canaled 3 yrs ago. But last month it got infacted and causing pain. My dentist removed the filling and treated the infaction and Now he is asking me to extracted the tooth as it may get infacted again. Pls suggest me whether to go with tooth extraction or not.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may get an X-ray of the tooth... Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thank you for asking your query. This is Dr. Dipti XXXXXXX (Oral medicine specialist) here to reply your query. As you are mentioning that your root canal treated tooth started paining, it definitely means that it was infected. But after removal of the filling, I would consider re-root canal treatment. If that has been done, the infection must have gone and there is no need to get it extracted. You can get an X-ray of that tooth done which will define whether there is infection in tooth or not or whether the root canal treatment has been done properly. You may consult another dentist and discuss about this plan of action. If possible please send me the photo of the x-ray as I can help you more efficiently after taking a look to it. Hope it will help you. Regards