Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it necessary to go for tooth extraction for all teeth?

If I have had multiple tooth infections for over a year, is it wise to have all teeth extracted for dentures in the future BEFORE the antibiotics are given? The Dentist wanted to extract all teeth the next morning when I never could have had the multiple infections be treated.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: start antibiotics, then remove later Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you you so much for this query. Tooth removal its always the last option unless financial reasons make it difficult to pursue tooth conserving procedures. If after examination and investigation the tooth is totally bad and cannot be salvaged, then no removal would be the lone way forward. If the Decision is made because the teeth cavity be saved from examination and testing, then I will advice that you follow the directives of your dentist. If you think he had not provided enough information to justify that, then please ask him what the indication for the removal is. If the teeth are infected and warrant removal, extraction would facilitate infection control and would be better that the teeth get extracted about the same time. However, it would be wiser to start the antibiotics at least 24 hours before removal to make sure germs don't enter the circulation and cause a bigger infection. I how this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Is it necessary to go for tooth extraction for all teeth? 40 hours later
Thank you, but I may have confused you on one point or more. I currently have lower left and lower right infections, along with a top left infections. These are not only current, but they have been there for over a year. The Dentist suggested taking ALL my teeth out the very next day. They all do need to come out, bt wouldn't three current infections multiply the odds by 300% of getting infection into my circulatory system? Chas
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Not exactly 300% Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up precision. Removing three would not increase the odds by 300% exactly. Though it would be increased than in a person with just one removed, it will not all add up like simple maths. Also, taking active measures to reduce the infection by administering antibiotics before the surgery would greatly reduce the chances of spreading infection into the system. I would have recommended that these three be removed at the same time so as to minimize comfort and the risk of getting you in for the procedure over and over. The ultimate decision on how to proceed lies with you but taking all off at the same time would be the safest and most convenient way if I were to help you make the decision. I wish you well. feel free to ask for more information if needed. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.