Is it necessary to go for laser surgery for blocked sciatic nerves after four back surgeries?

Nov 2013

I have had four back surgerys one double fusion, one triple fusion, one to repair or replace disks and decompression all in the lumbard region. The last surgrey was in 2013 triple fusion and disk work. I now have etreme pain down both of my legs hip to the knee. I have taken medicane as trial and error none worked have tried acaupuncture did not work now the doctors want to place in implant in my back to stimilate the nerves and do away with the pain. This I do not want at this time or ever undecided am trying other options first... The decompression worked extremely well untill I had the past surgery now ciatic nerves are blocked again (spelling). I have been thinking about laser surgery but doctors say it doesent work that I have to many opperations and that the tissue from opprations is the problem blocking the caitic nerves in the vertabre. Laser surgery seams the least offensive of all and might work. What do you thing about laser surgery and is it worth while?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query on healthcare magic. I have noted your case history and details of treatment received. It is unfortunate that the pain has returned after surgery. Regarding your query about laser surgery, it is not effective for spine or disc problems, in relieving nerve compression. Laser just burns the soft tissue, including the disc fragment, which is supposed to remove the compression on the nerve. However, as it is a blind procedure, the entire disc fragment and tissue pressing on the nerve can not be removed. In addiiton, there is a risk of damaging the nerve tissue also with laser treatment, as the nerve lies very close to the disc. So, at this point, I would agree with your doctor's plan of spinal cord stimulator. In the meanwhile, until the surgery is done, you could take pregabalin capsules, and undergo physiotherapy. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: