Is it necessary for MS patients to have MRI w/Gad to monitor mild MS?

I was diagnosed with MS in 1999, since then I've had several ( at least 7 ) MRI's w/Gad. In 2011 I had severe back pain went to local hospital was told that I had kidney stones. Attending doctor in Emergency Room said that I should drink large amounts of water everyday. Currently, my neurologist has recommended that I have another MRI w/Gad. I am rather apprehensive about having this procedure again. Is it necessary for MS patients to have MRI w/Gad to monitor seemingly mild MS?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, its needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Neurology, working with an experienced Neurologist. I answer on his behalf. Yes, I would consider it very much necessary to know the progression of the disease. MS is a condition which sometimes grows rapidly and may not correlate with the clinical presentation. Hence, it is better to get the scan repeated at regular basis to know the progression. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: Is it necessary for MS patients to have MRI w/Gad to monitor mild MS? 17 hours later
Thanks for your prompt answer to my last question. I would like to know also, do you feel that GAD may have caused me to have kidney stones? There is no family history of kidney stones that I'm aware of. Does doing repeated MRI/ GAD procedures have any long term effects on kidney function?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. No, Gadolinium is not known to cause kidney stones but the worst and common complication is worsening of the pre-existing kidney disease. Regards,