Is it medically recognised that people who have inner ear or vertigo problems should not wear varifocals?

ENT Specialist
Is it medically recognised that people who have inner ear/vertigo problems should not wear varifocals? I have had vertigo problems for a number of years on and off. Recently I have started wearing varifocals and the instances of vertigo have increased. Are the two connected?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Our balance is maintained by input from the ears, eyes and joint receptors throughout the body.

2. Varifocals lead to a mismatch of visual input conflicting with other inputs. This causes dizziness in even normal people with no history of vertigo. Many stop using varifocals as even normal vestibular systems refuse to adapt.

3. Since you have a history of vertigo, it will be better if you avoid varifocals. However, the human balance system is complex and highly adaptable. If you try for a few days and your system does adapt, you may continue.

3. I would like to know if you have an exact diagnosis of your type of vertigo?

Awaiting your reply.