Is it mandatory to wear hair caps,gowns and shoe covers in the pre operating room?

Rheumatologist
Question
Should the COMPANIONS of patients waiting for cataract surgery in the pre operating room wear hair caps, gowns and shoe covers?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it depends on the individual hospital policy , but generally , yes it is followed, anybody entering the Operation theatre compound has to wear hair caps, gowns and shoe covers . It is very helpful in reducing the infection in the patients. Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Is it mandatory to wear hair caps,gowns and shoe covers in the pre operating room? 2 hours later
Thank you for your fast reply. “Individual hospital policy” It is my personal opinion that this is so obviously important that this should be a mandatory requirement by a regulatory authority. Could you find out if this is so? You may take all the time you need. I am willing to wait. There is a strong possibility that the companions in street clothing could transmit micro organisms to the patient and be carried into the operating room. Furthermore, in the two hour waiting period the companions even had visits to the bathrooms.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, It varies from country to country but as I told you it is mandatory in our set up to follow this rule and generally it is followed everywhere I suppose . There are various authorities like JCI which lay recommendations for the hospitals and it depends whether hospital is affiliated to them or not . Dr. Shruti