Is it mandatory to contact a physician before taking a steam bath ?

HI, I m Jiten,41, 5'9", 91 Kg, Diabetic and high B.P.....recentely I've joined the gym and got my blood sugar controlled. My query is..while going for a steam bath I found notice in front that I should contact physician before getting steam bath. I m in small town and pretty sure about incapability of physician to answer my query hence decided to put a query though this platform. pls. guide me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

In the steam bath, a very high temperature is maintained.

When you enter a steam bath, you are suddenly exposed to a very high temperature which causes sudden dilatation of all your arteries, causing pooling of blood in your limbs and decreases the circulation to your brain causing unconsciousness.

The persons prone to cardiac problems or vascular problems might face problems in gaining the consciousness.

The reverse phenomenon occurs when you come out- there is vasoconstriction and there may be a sudden rise of blood pressure.

To avoid all these problems one should get his cardiac check up done and blood pressure well controlled before going in for a steam bath.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is it mandatory to contact a physician before taking a steam bath ? 37 minutes later
Thanks ma'am for your answer. I m convinced, still one more little query is...I do not have any cardiac problem but I tend to go to steam after workout which means my blood pressure is alreay shooted up hence according to your answer it is risky, right?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The blood pressure will shoot up when you will come out of the steam bath and not enter. Still you should wait and rest for at least 15 minutes after exercise and then go for a steam bath.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Is it mandatory to contact a physician before taking a steam bath ? 52 days later
I am 41 years old and 4 years back diagnosied as diabetic, so far my glucose count was OK but since last six months its coming on bit higher side, my FBS between 120 to 140 and PP2BS from 180 to 200. I am 90 Kg and regularly going to gym for weight lose. Currently I am taking Glucanorm G4 forte S.R. ( glymparide 4 mg + metformin 1000 mg, sustained release ) daily in the morning after break fast.

My question is : Since this drug and life style change is also not taking effect, kindly suggest me good drug to control sugar or proper timing for popping drug or any other life style change. Pls guide me how best I can control my BS. Thanx.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Controlling blood sugar levels needs repeated blood glucose levels - both fasting and post prandial- 2 hours after all the three meals. You need to have higher doses or insulin under the expert guidance of an endocrinologist for proper blood glucose control.
Follow-up: Is it mandatory to contact a physician before taking a steam bath ? 12 hours later
Thanx mam for the reply, Can u suggest proper timing for taking tablets?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

You need to take this tablet with the first main meal of the day- mostly taken with breakfast.
Just begin your breakfast and then take the tablet and then continue with your rest of the meal.

Hope this will be helpful.