Is it just bruising if I develop a lump after an injury?

I was hit on the mouth a week ago and have developed a hard lump about the size of a 10cent peice just under my bottom lip. I can also feel it rubbing on my bottom teeth. Its annoying and am presuming its just part of the swelling and bruising??
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 17 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

Your History suggests you have developed a Inflammatory Swelling post Trauma. I would suggest you get yourself examined by a ENT Specialist or a Dentist so that they may examine you and rule out if there is any other pathology.

The treatment will depend upon the cause.

Your Doctor shall examine you and Prescribe antibiotics if there are signs of a Infection along with anti inflammatory drugs and also a local Anesthetic cream if necessary which you will have to apply as directed.

In the meantime follow these Lifestyle changes:

1.) Apply a cotton cloth material dipped in warm water to the swelling regularly several times a day
2.) Avoid hot beverages until the swelling subsides
3.) Avoid smoking, alcoholism and spicy foods
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I Will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.