Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication for mental health?

Question
Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication in the U.K if it is for mental health.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Mania

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

The answer to your question will depend on the condition of the patient. As per my understanding, a patient who is judged by a clinician to not have the mental capacity to make a judgement ( i.e. a person with a psychotic disorder like schizophrenia) can be admitted by a responsible clinician. Treatment can be enforced in such a condition. In other conditions like an anxiety disorder, the patient retains the right to refuse treatment.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication for mental health? 35 minutes later
This answers my question perfectly
Follow-up: Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication for mental health? 18 minutes later
The Expert's advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.
Follow-up: Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication for mental health? 1 minute later
This is not a threat because i dont have skitzophrenia.
Follow-up: Is it illegal to refuse perscribed medication for mental health? 11 minutes later
Iv'e met people who often see or hear things that others do not is that a say a symptom, Have you seen Donnie Darko

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I have not seen Donnie Darko but what concerns me here is that you are young. Refusing treatment could mean a poor quality of life for you and your loved ones. I would strongly suggest that you undergo the prescribed treatment. It will allow you to live your life to the fullest. I want you to feel happy, loved and fulfilled when you are older.

Warm regards