Is it good to have hysterectomy inspite of having abnormal pap smear?

Mar 2013
My mom, 70 years, had an abnormal pap smear. The doctor recommended a LEEP procedure, but said her vagina was too dry or tight to penetrate for the procedure. They gave her some cream to moisturize the area, but said it was still too dry for LEEP. They are now recommending hysterectomy and I am a bit worried. Do you think it is a good idea for her to have a hysterectomy? They did not say she has cancer, just that it might be better to have a hysterectomy to remove the concern that she would always worry about it in the future since her pap test was abnormal.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: PLEASE UPLOAD EXACT REPORT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Before I opine regarding a hysterectomy, can you please upload the exact report of the Pap smear that was done ? There are various kinds of ' abnormal ' Pap smear, so please let me know the report so that I can guide you better. Looking forward to hearing from you. Take care.
Follow-up: Is it good to have hysterectomy inspite of having abnormal pap smear? 10 hours later
The letter she received just said she had a "mild" abnormal pap test and that as a result they checked for HPV and it was positive. They recommended colposcopy and it possibly showed some abnormality, hence they also recommended the LEEP procedure, which they could not do because of the dryness of her vagina. This is all I know. We don't live in the same state, so I don't have more details, but hope you can give me some general idea of what would be best for her. I also found out late and her surgery is actually scheduled for Tuesday, so I am concerned. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: I hope you realize you are giving me very little information to work on ! I need to know the reports of the Pap and the Colposcopy both. In general, all I can say is that if the LEEP was recommended, its purpose is to remove the suspicious area of the cervix. If it was not done, because of age related stenosis and dryness, then it makes sense to have a hysterectomy, as the alternative is not knowing what is going on inside the cervix. I wish you could get the reports emailed and let me know. Otherwise, if LEEP was advised, but not done due to the reasons mentioned, a hysterectomy is a safer alternative for her. Take care.