Is it fine to have a headache after a fall ?

Hello, I hit my head over 24 hours ago, when I slipped and fell and hit it on a hard floor. It started to get a bump but I iced it and the bump went away. It still hurts in the area of the head that hit (Above my left ear, in the upper back part of my head). I have a slight headache on the side of my head that hit and I just do not feel well. How long untill I know that I am fine and should I go have my head checked out?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 38 minutes later

thanks for query.After any injury to the any part of body including head there is increase blood flow to the site of injury and some chemicals accumulate there which leads to swelling and pain.

When ever you take some apply something like ice this swelling subsides.Still after this also there are some chemicals present at the site which can give rise to pain and heaviness in that area that you have.

Apart from this when ever there is blow to the skull the brain inside also gets a jerk.This leads to some heaviness and headache also.

Do not worry.Please watch for following,

1.Increasing headache
4.Visual disturbances

In case of any one of above you need see your doctor for further check up.

Please take proper rest,you can even take analgesics for pain and discomfort.Normally things should settle down in couple of days.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.