Ask a Homeopath   »  

Is it fine to do suryanamaskar during pregnancy?

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
HI, Is it Fine if I do "SURYANAMASKAR EXERCISE" During Pregnancy.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 2 hours later

Yours is a pretty good question to answer; the details are as follows –

1. The most important aspect in which trimester of pregnancy are you in?

2. Have you practiced Suryanamaskars before or you are looking to practice for the first time?
- If it is for the first time, then please do not attempt to practice without a professional guidance. It can be injurious to you and your pregnancy if not done in a proper manner.
- If you are in first trimester and have also practiced earlier before conceiving, you can practice Suryanamaskars only with an experienced yoga professional.

3. In general, I would recommend not to practice Suryanamaskars in your particular case as I am not aware of your medical history.

If you any further queries, you can write back.

With best wishes,
Follow-up: Is it fine to do suryanamaskar during pregnancy? 1 hour later
I am in 1nd Month and I regularly do Yoga
Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 6 hours later

Hello and thanks again,

As you have been on yoga practice and been regular, during the first 3 months of pregnancy you can do Suryanamaskars taking care of the following aspects –

1. Do all the postures very gently & softly without causing any strain to your abdomen and back.
2. The speed of the practice should be slow and steady. Approximately you need spend about 90 – 120 seconds per cycle of Suryanamaskar.
3. Make sure that the breathing pattern is appropriate in each posture of Suryanamaskar.
4. It is very important to be aware of your body, joints, muscles and other structures so that you can stop even at the slightest hint of discomfort which might be caused while practicing it.
5. Start with 3 cycles per day and increase it up to 6 cycles of Suryanamaskar very gradually.
6. Do not forget to practice Shavasana after completing the Suryanamaskars, if required you can take brief Shavasana in between each cycle based on your comfort levels.

If you take care of the above mentioned points, you can practice Suryanamaskars on a regular basis.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion

With best wishes,
Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS