Is it dangerous to try to conceive while taking Penicillin for a sinus infection?

We have been trying to conceive our 4th child. My wife is now on penicilin for a sinus infection. Is it XXXXXXX to conceive while she is on penicilin and/or with an infection? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

Penicillin is a safe antibiotic but if your wife has not yet conceived then it is best to wait till her infection subsides and her antibiotics are over. It will take 7-10 days to regain her health and you can try for a baby from next cycle in her fertile days- from day 9 to 17 in a regular 28 day cycle.

Right now for treatment of sinus infection, along with antibiotics, steam inhalation and high vitamin C supplements will be helpful for an early recovery.

She can also start taking folic acid supplements from her next cycle to avoid neural tube defects in the baby.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Is it dangerous to try to conceive while taking Penicillin for a sinus infection? 43 minutes later
It is possible over the last two nights that she conceived. Should we be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If she has already conceived then there is nothing to be worried about. You can continue taking Penicillin. Add folic acid supplements to avoid neural tube defects.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.