Is it dangerous to miss thyroid pills during early pregnancy?

Question
hi i am 36 yrs old, with tsh value of 7.6 , naturally preganct with first child after many years of treatment and in my 13 week . i had earlier also thyroid problem with a value of 5.5 in IVF treatment 2 yrs ago.then my value came down and i left pills for tyroid.
have read side effects(like nueral problems, still birth and fetal death) of high tsh during first trimester. i got my tsh test quite late done .now i am woried as i didnot take any pills during first trimester to control thriod .should i be worried?today i had t3 and t4 done.thanks
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 12 hours later

During pregnancy TSH should be <2.5 mIU/ml. Since your TSH is elevated you will have to take thyroxine tablets. Please contact your physician for thyroid supplements.

However your thyroid problem is mild, so do not worry about any side effects. If they occur they may not be related to your thyroid problem, but related to your advanced age at pregnancy.

So nothing much to worry from thyroid point of view, but you have to start medicine immediately.

Hope I answered your question.