Is it critical to have an irregular heart beat while on treatment for atrial flutter ?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi, I am being treated for atrial flutter with Tambocor, Micardis, Simvastatin and Atenolol, also warfarin. When sitting watching TV around 4PM I can feel my heart beating irregularly. My second dose of Atenolol and Tambocor for the day is due at 7PM. How XXXXXXX is this situation? Once the Atenolol and Tambocor kick in around 8 - 9 PM I am usually fine again
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 15 hours later
Hello Mr Lex XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You have provided with good information but I would like to know a few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

I need some further clarifications from you. Kindly do answer the following:

1) I would like to know your age.

2) I would like to see the ECG showing arrhythmia. You could upload it on the website. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

3) Has a Holter test been done?

4) Do you also have Hypertension and abnormal lipids?

5) What does the echo-cardiogram show?

6) Does the symptom of feeling irregular heart beats occur on a daily basis, and at approximately the same time every day?

7) What is the dosage of Tambocor and Atenolol that you are currently taking?

Kindly get back to me with these clarifications so that I can give you specific answers and recommendations.

Awaiting your response.

Dr RS Varma