Is it critical to get a tetanus injection post scrapping due to rusted nail or metal ? Is there a natural remedy ?

My daughter is in the New Orleans area on an island and was scraped with a rusty nail or piece of metal. How essential is it that she get a tetanus shot now? She is 28 yrs old and it has been many years since she had a tetanus shot. . If she cannot get to a doctor, is there any natural remedy she could try if necessary?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Natural and Home Remedies
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query .

You have not mentioned how long has it been from the time she scraped herself with a rusty nail .

I would suggest she visits a doctor soon and will have to take an injection of Tetanus vaccine . It is generally advised to be taken if 10 yrs are over from the last vaccination

There is little that one could do at home to prevent tetanus , she can wash the area under running tap water and dress it with an antiseptic cream like SOFRAMYCIN.Doing this will not help much , as giving a tetanus injection is considered the only best method to prevent the infection.

She needs to act soon.

I hope I answered your question, I would be available to answer the follow up questions as well.