Is it common to have sore breasts after embryo transfer?

4 days after embryo transfer i have very sore breasts around the whole breast and nipple is also sore. is this common ? and mild stomach cramping although this pain is not steady !!! i am in my 2ww and want to know how soon i can do an hcg ?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

It is usual to have cramps with sore breast and nipples after the embryo transfer due to the Progesterone supplements being given for fertilization.As the hormonal levels increase in the body the early pregnancy symptoms start showing up.

For doing the HCG you should wait at least for 2 to 3 weeks after the transfer as it takes time for the levels to build up.Once the levels start increasing they increase rapidly.

If the cramps increase in severity or there is spotting consider visiting your Gynecologist immediately for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query.

All the best to you.
Follow-up: Is it common to have sore breasts after embryo transfer? 17 hours later
thank you for your answer.

if this is the case how long is it before implantation is likely to occur as this is now day 5 for me and I am half afraid to do anything.

also with the cyclogest pessaries that i am using twice daily is it better for me to shower or can i take a bath ??

thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 44 minutes later

Thanks for follow up

Implantation can vary in every woman but earliest can occur after 10 days of the egg retrieval.It is better to take shower with moderate temperature water(avoid any extremes)until the implantation has occured and unless your treating doctor has given affirmation for the same.

Wishing you a Healthy Pregnancy,
Take Care!