Is it common to have cramping problems after an abortion ?

I an abortion about 6 weeks ago i have only stopped bleeding a few days ago although it was very light for a couple of weeks. The last few mornings i have been waking up with bad cramping and have been getting quite a bit of watery whitish discharge. The cramping seemsto improve over the day then its back when i wake up and seems to be getting worse. Please help
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Hi Nic,

I would consider the cramping in the abdomen is probably due to the left over wounds after the abortion.This is can be much expected to happen if its a Surgical abortion(D and E or D and C).The watery whitish discharge supports this fact.Such a presentation can also be seen with medical termination of pregnancy but very rarely expected after 6 weeks.

Since you had bleeding even after 6 weeks of abortion which is very unusual,I would advice you to get yourself examined by a Gynecologist with aid of an Ultrasound scan.

Do take antispasmodics to alleviate the crams you have , You can discuss about the same with your treating doctor.Though the problems will stop on its own within a week or two from now, as the bleeding has stopped but taking antispasmodics will help better.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.