Is it an issue that I have lost height since I was in college?

I am going to be 48 years old. I used to be 5'7-1/2 in college and now I measured at 5'6" at the doctor's office. Is this an issue that I lost so much height ?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your height loss is of concern.

I see that you have lost 1 -1 1/2 inch over some unknown period.
Normally, height certainly decreases to a varying extent in individuals as they age. This is perfectly normal. You are close to menopausal age, which makes this sense.

Do not worry too much about this and check your Calcium levels initially with a BMD (bone mineral density) scan or with a consultation. It will show your risk status if any.

Eat good nutritious and balanced diet specially XXXXXXX in calcium in case you show low levels.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.