Is it advised to put a patient with severe acute myocardial infarction into a medical coma for recovery?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Is it typical to put a patient with severe acute myocardial infarction into a medical coma for recovery?
And if yes, how long would the coma be kept?

Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
I guess there is a confusion about the terminologies. I need some clarifications, when you say medical coma, were you referring to Hypothermia or cooling of the body and keep at low temperature.?

This is not treatment for heart attack but in patients recovering from Cardiac arrest or stoppage of heart it is shown to be beneficial for brain protection.

All patients with severe heart attack will not be put on medical coma.

Please get back to me if needed. I would be happy to clarify.

Follow-up: Is it advised to put a patient with severe acute myocardial infarction into a medical coma for recovery? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. Koregol,

I was referring to Anesthesia to induce coma in this case. Obviously it has been done to prevent brain damage and to allow intubation (I am referring to my father who had the heart attck). I wonder how long the induce coma would usually be applied and how long it would take to wake up after the anesthesia is removed. As far as I know hypothermia is not used in his case.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later

There will not be a definite timeline.

As long as ventilatory support is required, patient will be on induced coma. In general, most people need it for about 48 hrs.

Once the haemodynamics are stabilized and heart failure is well controlled, then they would stop Anesthesia or sedation and make him awake.

After they decide to stop anesthesia, it would be possible to reverse the effects immediately.
Hope I have clarified now. Do let me know if you have more doubts.