Is it advisable to take ayurveda treatment during remission period of multiple myeloma?

Hello- I was diagnosed with MM 2 yeas ago. "Smoldering" stage until last April. Started treatment with Bortezomid and Dexamethasone in view of harvesting stem cells for a possible future stem cell transplant. No progress so far (no remission reached yet) , so we've switched recently to Lenalidomide + Dex. My question: generally speaking, is there any benefit from doing an Ayurveda cure during a remission period - or on the contrary could it be detrimental to the treatment? Thank you - XXXX / XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggestions. Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations. I would also like to congratulate you on working hard to keep your multiple myeloma under control with medication and with the dedication of your hematologist. at this time I would not recommend incorporation of homeopathic or Ayervedic medicine. this is not because I do not believe this might work but because I do not know how to predict how this type of medication or treatment would affect your body in the setting of remission from multiple myeloma. generally in the medical field we like to see very large clinical trials which prove that a certain intervention is effective and safe. Again in your case I would not consider this type of intervention to be standard of care. As with anything please discuss this with your primary physicians. thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns. Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Is it advisable to take ayurveda treatment during remission period of multiple myeloma? 14 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX - thank you very much for your answer, which I found extremely sensible and helpful. I hadn't discussed this question with my hematologist yet, as I came across your website by chance and was interested to find out what the situation is between MM-treatment (even during remission) and Ayurveda. But knowing him and his competence in the field, I'm pretty sure he'll be of the same cautious opinion as yourself. So - no follow-up question Kind regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Many thanks Detailed Answer: thanks for the kind words, Wishing you all the best and continued good health. Dr Galamaga.