Is it advisable to postpone periods with Meprate tablet?

Question
Hello Dr. My periods is due on 22nd of this month. normally it will fall after 3 or 4 days of previous month period day. I want to postpone it to 5 days.that is after 26th. One of my doctor suggest meprate tablet. Is it advicable to postpone periods? please advice.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

You can postpone your periods by taking norethisterone which is often used to postpone a period.

But it is advisable to use this drug only after a doctor’s prescription. It is not to be taken without a medical supervision. Your doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in individual circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe this drug.

Meprate contains Medroxyprogesterone Acetate and is used for treatment of secondary amenorrhoea and for abnormal uterine bleeding. It can also be used for re-programming the menstrual cycle and postponing the cycle but use it under your gynecologist’s guidance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Is it advisable to postpone periods with Meprate tablet? 8 hours later
I have one more query regarding this. Another tablet also suggest named PRIMOLUT-N. So which among of these will be guarantee the postponing of periods?Also heard PRIMOLUT-N will result in to heavy bleeding once stopped..which of these tablets are not harmful to health? which one you suggest?Please help.Also please advice from which day onwards i need to start this pill? Whether this taken in empty stomach or after food?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Primolut N tablets contain the active ingredient norethisterone, which is a synthetic hormone similar to the naturally occurring sex hormone, progesterone. You can use it for postpoining the periods and I have already mentioned the dose. But use it under medical supervision.

This medication has to be taken about 3 days before the expected menstruation. Bleeding will occur 2 to 3 days after having stopped medication and sometimes it may be heavy bleeding but it will eventually subside.

You can take it after food as it will prevent gastritis.