Is it advisable to go for walking post total knee joint replacement?

I am 54 year old, male. I have total knee-joint replacement done on both legs 4 years back, after 4 painful years suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. I notice that I am putting on weight. Is walking for 45-60 mins every day advised? I am concerned that the artificial joints may wear out and may result in early need for replacement of the same!
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Walking not highly recommended. Detailed Answer: Hello, There are non weight bearing exercises for patient like you.These are helpful in reducing weight without wear and tear of joints.Swimming and cycling are easiest of this. A physiotherapist/gym instructor or even your doctor can demonstrate you few exercises which can be done easily. Short walk is accepted that too if don't stand for long hours or have to walk around for day today activities. Hope this helps.Regards.