Is it advisable to get R.I.S.C test done for diabetes?

hi doctor , Recently I read about R.I.S.C test being done in LIFESPAN centres , for Diabetes. My mother aged 65 years is a Diabetic by hereditary , follows a very active lifestyle without taking any sugar items . But inspite of that while we went for a health check which was done after almost 2 hours after breakfast the result was bit high approx.. 220 mg /dl . Should I go for this test which is costly ( 4000 approx ) and can we get discounts on health card for this R.I.S.C test . If done will this test give the complete diagnosis for her blood sugar . Should I proceed for the same . How far is it reliable rather than the conventional urine and blood test ( post and pre ) for sugar testing Please advise .
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: yes, you can go for the test Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes, you can go ahead and get the RISC test for your mother. Yes, you could also get discounts on your health card for the same. You need to contact the hospital billing section for it. It will measure 30 vital health indicators that would indicate the level of insulin resistance and extent of development of cardiovascular disease and diabetes in your mother. Overall, it is a good test to know her health status and disease progression stage. Please proceed with the same. Since it measures multiple parameters, it is definitely reliable. However, the actual test to monitor long term sugar levels in glycosylated hemoglobin. I am not sure if this is done with the RISC test. Hope this information helps you. Regards,