Is it advisable to apply body oil to infant?

is it ok to apply body oil to my 45 days old babies? I have seen that if I massage them gently (without oil), they enjoy it. So, I feel if I massage them with baby oil they may feel even better. Is it ok to do it?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oil massage is great, but need to consider age

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

It is fine to apply oils to babies, even from the time of birth; but there are specific oils that are advised to children from the time of birth. Massaging helps in creating a unique bond between mother and child. I shall list the various oils advised by doctors from around the world for children from the time of birth, they are:
- From the time of birth to two months age: Yarrow, dill, chamomile and lavender
- From the age of 2 months to 6 months: Mandarin, coriander, neroli and all the above listed contents all
- From 6 months age to 12 months: Tea tree, calendula, grapefruit, aniseed and all the other contents listed above

Please look out for all these contents in your child's oil, and avoid the use of adult oils. In India, products like Johnson's baby oil, is advised after the age of 3 months (90 days age), but you can consult your children's doctor and initiate the oil early as well. I wish both your beautiful babies lots of luck, and a beautiful and healthy life ahead. Also, make sure you avoid eucalyptus and wintergreen completely.

God bless.