Is it abnormal to have blood flow around clitoris during menses?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
is it abnormal for menses to flow around clitoris. I feel it gushing out
this has been happening the past few months. I am still having my normal, heavy, regular periods. At times there are clots as well
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

It is quite common phenomena in some women and also in your case due to heavy period and hypertension. Here, excessive vaginal bleeding may flow around clitoris.

Also, you should know certain things regarding heavy period including clots in this age group. The possible reasons should be ruled out in this context. These are as follows:
1) Uterine fibroid or polyp (may be cervical)
2) Endometrial atrophy or hyperplasia
3) Others- adenomyosis, certain medication etc.

Complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum/ colposcopic examination is needed to rule out underlying pathology.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) scan, Pap smear test to detect cancerous changes and endometrial biopsy (may be needed).

So, please consult with your gynecologist who can help you regarding this and give suggestive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen