Is it a miscarriage if I am bleeding a lot?

General Surgeon
hi,I am 24 years old and i lost my virginity at the end of May and i had unprotected sex.
i always had a irregular period, so since last month, my doctor told me to take Yaz (birth control pill). my first pack of pills will finish tonight. i didn't miss any pills. however, i had spotting ( mostly brownish, sometimes black or red) during the whole pack.
last night, i had very bad cramping, and when i went to bathroom to change my pad, something like a chicken skin came out of my V. there was so much blood in the toilet and it was covered in blood. i put it on a clean pad and i rubbed it till the excess blood absorbed to the pad.
size of it was about a palm and
there was something like a string of blood at the one end of it . when i looked at it closely, i believe there were 2 holes on it, and there were also blood inside the holes.
i am freaking out now. what could possibly be wrong? i read some where that it could be a miscarriage, and if it was what should i do??? can i still be pregnant?
or could their be infection? i really don't want to talk about it with my family doctor or anyone else. i also took pregnancy test about 3 weeks ago, and it was negative
please help me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 31 minutes later

Unprotected sex always exposes women to chances pregnancy. Pregnancy test done three weeks backs or immediately after intercourse or sex is of no use . It becomes positive only ,7-10 after missing the periods. As now your are bleeding & has passed clot, chances of miscarriage can`t be completely ruled out. So what you need is repeat pregnancy test, as pregnancy takes little time to become negative after abortion or miscarriage and also ultrasound lower abdomen is very important to confirm the diagnosis and plan for further management /treatment.

Because some time abortion /miscarriage is incomplete leading to retained product of conception (RPOC),in which case bleeding will persist and chances of infection will also increase. Blood test for infection should also be done, as infection can also be the cause or it may complicate matter.

I can understand the situation that you are going through but it is necessary to visit a doctor if not the family doctor in case you are embarassed. Long term Health is very important than short emotions.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Is it a miscarriage if I am bleeding a lot? 2 hours later
so are you saying that it was 100% miscarriage? because i heard that sometimes during period, some women see similar thing ( chicken skin look) and i heard that also could be the lining of the womb shedding during the period.
would you please give me more details
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Confirmation of pregnancy is must to say with certainty, it is miscarriage. This is the very reason I have advised you for pregnancy test & ultrasound lower abdomen.

No doubt severe bleeding with passage of clots do occur due to other reasons also. As in the past also your periods were irregular and you have taken a full cycle of Yaz ( Birth control pills ), so abnormal bleeding with clots can occur after Yaz. Cramping pain occurs only to expel any thing abnormal in the uterine cavity i.e.blood or clot or RPOC. But confirmation of diagnosis before future treatment is must. As it will also avoid complications.

‘Hope I have answered your query.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Is it a miscarriage if I am bleeding a lot? 30 hours later
hello again doctor,
i took pregnancy test as you advised, and it was negative. so should i still be worry about pregnancy?
my period is very light now its like it is almost over. i started the new pack of Yaz last night.
if we want to ruled out the miscarriage, what else could that things could be???

thanks again for answering my answers
Hello Yarghavanii

Nice to hear from you again

Once the pregnancy test is negative ,chances of miscarriage are ruled out.If you want to be further sure you can go for ultrasound .As your pregnancy test is negative and you have already started Yaz ,there don`t appear to be any reason for worry. Thing you are talking about , can be endometrial lining the uterus along with blood clots.

Hope I have answered your query, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.